Our Genetics/Genomics Division is located within the Sonora Quest Laboratories Core Facility in Tempe, Arizona. We are accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP) and licensed by the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA). We are one of only two local Children’s Oncology Group (COG) certified reference cytogenetic laboratories in the Phoenix area. The COG provides annual updates for all submitted, newly-diagnosed ALL samples. Our COG cytogenetic abnormality rate came in at 100% for years 2012 and 2013 (compared to the national average of the other COG-certified labs at 77.3%).
Our laboratory is staffed by two American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ABMGG) certified directors and over 30 highly trained cytogenetic technologists, most of whom are certified by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) as specialists in cytogenetics.
We offer the following cytogenetic services to health care providers in Phoenix and the surrounding areas:
- High quality chromosomal analysis of amniotic fluid, chorionic villus samples (CVS), products of conception, peripheral blood, cord blood, bone marrow, lymph node, fresh tumor samples and skin biopsies.
- Molecular cytogenetic analysis by fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) for aneuploidy, microdeletion/microduplication syndromes, marker chromosome identification, translocation characterization, subtelomeric losses and rearrangements, mosaicism screening, and X/Y sex chromosome complement for sex-mismatched stem cell transplantation.
- Oncology FISH panels are available for ALL, AML, MDS, CLL, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and bladder cancer.
- FISH testing using formalin-fix paraffin-embedded (FFPE) tissue is available for lung cancer including ALK and ROS1 FISH, the high and low grade lymphomas, common sarcomas, breast cancer HER2 status, and myeloid neoplasms with eosinophilia.
- Constitutional microarray analysis using Affymetrix CytoScan HD oligonucleotide-SNP platform is available for detecting multiple congenital anomalies, intellectual disabilities/developmental delay, autism, and other neurocognitive disorders. The high resolution microarray contains over 2.67 million probes, including 1.9 million copy number probes and 750 thousand SNP probes.
- Molecular tests including BCR/ABL quantitative assay, Factor 2, Factor 5, MTHR and JAK2 mutation analysis.
- Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) solid tumor assay on FFPE samples is available. This assay uses the Thermo Fisher Oncomine Focus product which includes 50 actionable genes. The workflow enables concurrent DNA/RNA analysis for mutation, copy number variant, and fusion detection. There are 4 panels available for ordering including Lung cancer (24 genes), colorectal cancer (6 genes), melanoma (11 genes) and complete tumor (50 genes).
- Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) Heme assay on bone marrow and leukemic blood is also available. This assay uses the Thermo Fisher Oncomine Myeloid product, which includes 74 actionable genes. The workflow enables concurrent DNA/RNA analysis for mutation and fusion detection. There are 3 panels available for ordering including AML (58 genes), MPN (5 genes) and Heme (74 genes). The Turn-around time is 3-5 days.
- Pharmacogenomics testing has been offered since August 21, 2019. This panel includes 120 SNPs in 22 genes, 2 copy number variations in CYP2D6.
We continually add new molecular cytogenetic assays to our testing menu. Please refer to our Genetics/Genomics FISH & Molecular Test Menu or use our Searchable Test Menu for the most up-to-date information, specimen requirements, and turnaround times or call our Client Service Specialists at 602.685.5700, Monday-Friday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.